Pages

1.09.2012

Meatless Monday: Spinach, Feta & Egg Bake

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed a theme going on here but I like easy, healthy, last minute meals. For today's Meatless Monday the princess had caused a little more drama than usual during her meal so I was hoping to get something on the table for us in under 20 minutes.

I always have eggs in the fridge and usually some kind of cheese so I frequently make oven egg bakes. Egg bakes are very similar to a quiche but the eggs themselves make the crust. These protein packed meals can be on the table in no time.

Spinach, Feta & Egg Bake
Serves 4 (also tastes great as leftovers)

6 eggs (bought in 18 pk @ 2.95 is .16 per egg- total of .96)
8 oz frozen spinach (16 oz bag is 1.60- total of .80)
4 oz feta (8 oz is 2.99 - total of 1.50)
1/2 tsp thyme
salt & pepper to taste
Total cost of entire recipe- $3.26

1. Microwave 6 oz of frozen spinach to defrost. I have a really cool Pampered Chef microwave steamer that my grandma gave me so I throw a little water and spinach into it and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes.


2. While the spinach is microwaving, crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them. Take out a pie pan and spray with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375.

3. Chop feta into small cubes and add to eggs. Add thyme, salt & pepper and mix.
4. Pour egg mixture into the pie pan.

5. Take spinach out of microwave and drain water. Squeeze excess water out of spinach and then spread chunks of it around the pie pan.

6. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. Cut into slices and serve warm. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment