Pages

2.11.2012

Apple Pie Crust Crumble

I seem to always have a random ball of pie dough rolling around in the fridge or freezer. Not quite enough to make a pie, and I know if I make cinnamon rollups  I'll end up eating them all raw in my pajamas in the kitchen. This time I had a random storebought pie dough that had made it's way into my fridge. It was a snowy Vermont morning so I threw together some abstract "breakfast art".


Apple Pie Crust Crumble
(serves 4)

1 rolled out pie crust store bought or leftover homemade dough
2 TBS sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
3 apples
2 TBS butter
2 TBS maple syrup
2 TBS chopped nuts (optional, I used pecans)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Rollout dough and splinter pie dough into pieces on a sprayed cookie sheet. In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle pie dough with it. 

Put in oven for 8-10 minutes, keeping watch on it. Pull it out when it is a light golden brown.

2. Peel, section, and chop apples into small pieces. 



If you're house is like mine you'll have an apple-loving helper underfoot who pulls over a stool and tries to steal your ingredients. 


Just cut off the bitten part and keep on peeling. 


I offered a trade to keep the peace and quiet in our house.

We compost our food waste but apple peels never make it in because our bunny powered composter takes care of them. 



3. Sorry, back to the recipe. In a pan melt the butter and gently saute the apples. 



Drizzle in the maple syrup and cook until golden brown. I like to leave a little bit of crunch in the apple. Crispier varieties of apple stand up better to the sautee process. 

4. Dish out into bowls and top with some crushed nuts if desired. Enjoy. 


Use your apple energy to go for a little walk.



The energy lasted longer for some of us than others. 


Sometimes this is the only way she'll nap. Needless to say, my husband is in good shape. Have a good Saturday!










No comments:

Post a Comment