Pages

10.11.2012

Butternut Squash Casserole with Candied Bacon & Almonds

Butternut Squash Casserole with Candied Bacon & Almonds AKA Pie for Dinner

I love Thanksgiving. First, I like to cook so it's like my version of the Superbowl. Second, I love pumpkin and squash pies. This is a "pie" casserole. Basically this could be made as a breakfast, dinner, or dessert. I put bacon on it and serve it for dinner. The way I figure it there are two pounds of squash in here so it counts as healthy right? (Ok, I know it's not "healthy" but it is awesome.) This casserole style is really common in the South but I've cut out large amounts of butter and sugar that are normally used. You can make this vegetarian by eliminating the bacon topping.

You will need:

2 lbs (roughly 2 cups) of butternut squash, roasted (look at my post on roasting a whole squash)
3 eggs
2 TBS maple syrup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar plus an additional 4 TBS (2 for sprinkling the casserole, 2 for bacon)
4 TBS butter
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground clove
1 tsp kosher salt
4 slices bacon (optional)
1/3 cup almonds, chopped

Puree 2 cups of butternut squash.


Add 3 eggs and 2 TBS of maple syrup (I use Grade B) and blend.

Add 4 TBS (1/2 stick of butter) and puree. You could melt it first but my squash was still warm and I was lazy. 

Add 1/3 cup brown sugar and blend (not pictured). Add spices and blend.

Pour batter into a casserole dish that's been buttered or sprayed with cooking spray.

Sprinkle the top with 2 TBS of brown sugar. It helps to form a nice crackly crust and put in a 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes. 45 minutes will yield a softer more pudding like texture. 60 minutes will be a little fluffier and drier. 

Cover a cookie sheet in tinfoil (trust me- the sugar carmelizes and you do not want to clean that pan!). Sprinkle the 4 slices of bacon with the remaining 2 TBS of brown sugar. 

Use the back of a spoon to squish the sugar onto the bacon. Put it in the oven with the casserole for 8-10 minutes keeping an eye on it so it doesn't burn.  
As soon as it comes out of the oven start peeling it off the tinfoil or it will stick  in a major way! Break it into little pieces.

Chop up your almonds. 

Pull your beautiful finished casserole out of the oven. It should have a nice crust on top. 

Dish out into bowls and top with bacon and almonds. Enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment